Sly Park Jenkinson Lake Loop Trail is a 7.7 miles (or 3 hours of walking distance) moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a beautiful lake and is rated as moderate and kids friendly. Park Creek Waterfall is roughly 33 feet high and drops down into a pool of water that flows down Sly Park Creek and eventually into Lake Jenkinson.
We will have lunch at Park Creek Waterfall area and will spend the rest of afternoon walking around the lake to enjoy nature filled with wild animals, flowers and tall pine trees.
• When: Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 9 AM – 3 PM
• For Carpooling, we will meet at Davis Community Church Staff Parking Lot (421 D Street, Davis, CA) at 8:30 am. We will leave at 8:50 am sharp. For those who can drive, please come to DCC staff parking lot by 8:30 am. (We will cover gas for drivers).
• What to Bring: water bottles, bag lunch (snacks), picnic blanket, frisbees, volleyball ball, etc. to play with when we stop for lunch.
• For those who would like to come directly to the hiking site, we will meet at the parking lot of Bumpy Meadow, which is about a mile and a half from the main entrance, on Mormon Emigrant Trail around 10:30 am. From the parking lot to the Park Creek Waterfall is about 2.8 miles (or 45~50 minutes of walking).
• The group will walk together from the Bumpy Meadow trailhead parking lot to the Park Creek Waterfall to have lunch there from 11:30 am to 1 pm. During lunch time, we can play balls and games.
• Please RSVP as Grace will prepare extra Korean sushi for those who cannot bring lunch. We will also bring a case of bottle waters (36 bottles) to share with those who cannot bring water.
• We will also have a photo contest for this hike: For those who took the best pictures (by votes) will receive prizes.
• For more information, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/158197128176350/ or contact Dr. Stephen Moon at 916-217-5470.
The easiest way to get to the waterfall is to park in the Bumpy Meadow trailhead. This parking lot is located on the Southeast side of Lake Jenkinson.
If you are coming from Sacramento, take highway 50 east and get off on Sly Park road which is just past the town of Pollock Pines. You will make a right onto Sly Park road from the freeway exit.
The speed limit is roughly 40 mph but it does require you to slow down during the sharp, winding turns. And, it’s even more dangerous if you go during the winter time because the roads will be slippery.
The road winds around for roughly 4 miles until you reach the main entrance. But then you have to travel another 1.4 miles to get to the bumpy meadow parking area which is past the main entrance and on Mormon Emigrant Trail.
Once you park at the Bumpy Meadows parking area, take the trail down along the lake and head Northeast for about 3 miles. The trail has many ups and downs, is not flat, and is deceptively taxing on the body.
At about the 2.8 mile mark, the trail brings you out into a little meadow along a calm, serene spot on the lake. This area leads to the Park Creek Bridge and not directly to the waterfall. You must head to the right roughly 250 yards and listen for the sound of the waterfall. Within a few minutes you will see the waterfall and the little trail brings you right alongside the middle of it.